Monday, December 22, 2008

Smile in The Mind

In a recent interview, book designer David Drummond says A Smile in the Mind is his modus operandi. The comment made me curious, so I found myself a copy.

The subtitle reads: witty thinking in graphic design. And in five parts, the authors do a fabulous job of defining, developing and demonstrating the use of wit and witty thinking in design. But I'd venture to say the book is worth the read simply for the fifth part alone, where 26 designers and thinkers (including Saul Bass, Milton Glaser, and Paul Rand) describe, "how I got the idea."

The book has certainly prompted me to risk a little this past week, and take a couple of projects in a whole new direction... ( Insert tentative smile here,) we'll see if I can convince the client.

Thanks David, the book is definitely worth checking out.

No comments: