Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Quote from My Four Year Old

Remember that television show Kids say the Darnedest Things? I do. From serious discussions on the meaning of life to where babies come from, the show was a humorous and candid look at how children view the world around them. 

Just last night my four year old told me she was sad. "Oh?" I asked, hesitating. "Yes, I'm sad daddy, she said. "I wish God would come visit, cause I love Him and want to give Him a hug." 

There are many ruminations of childhood wisdom and innocence that ought to be written down, yet we parents have neglected or forgotten to do this more often than not. So I ask, can you remember what your child/children have said, that caused you to smile in wonder, with that dawning realization that kids really do say the darnedest things?

7 comments:

Jim said...

Yes, we have tried to write down some of our children's sayings. It is amazing what they come up with.

I remember our 2nd daughter when she was three years old saying the following.

Some of the children had been drinking root beer and when asked what they were drinking she piped up, "alcohol". Too funny! Where she put that connection together I don't know.

Matt McClay said...

Thanks for your comment Jim. Keep them coming!

Caleb Chang said...

A pregnant lady from church started a facebook group to solicit names for her new baby. My wife and I were talking about this in the car when my then 5-year-old son piped up, "I've got the PERFECT name!" We asked encouragingly for him to vocalize his thoughts. "They should call the new baby Satan!" I nearly drove off the road I was laughing so hard. Landmark journal entry.

Kc said...

Welcome to Blog-sphere Matt. I got here by way of Jim.

Children do have unique perceptions. When coupled with their innocence and open honesty that can often leave you with "some splainin to do".

Her mother and I only allowed our daughter to view "G" movies with childrens themes and explained that the other films we watched were for adults, not children.

Her Sunday school teacher was the first in our Church to find out that we were watching "adult" films.

(Thank goodness she knew better!) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well I don't have any kids but I am known as Uncle Matty to my best friends' two girls. Not long ago, the oldest of the two, who's 6, asked her mom..."Why isn't Uncle Matty married? Everyone else at church is?!"

Needless to say they had to try to explain that "he hasn't found the right girl yet." I couldn't help but laugh that she put two and two together like that.

Good times.

Matt McClay said...

Thank you all for your comments.

In the coming days I may update this post and include all of your memories. And perhaps they will spark
even more.

Anonymous said...

I just told Shirley today to write down your kids' dialogues! How funny! You think you'll never forget because its just so cute -- but guess what! You do! Gone, kaput, never to be remembered again. Or maybe its just me and my weak mind:) WRITE IT DOWN! Take it from this old lady of 3 -- they grow up so quickly. Enjoy the journey!
Love from Illinois:)
Laury