Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pressed Out of Measure

Once in a while I come across a song or poem that grabs my attention. The following was one which my mom encouraged me with recently and it speaks to me deeply. What experiences did this unknown author go through in order to express and articulate both the pain and the joy that comes from submitting to Christ in the most difficult circumstances?

Not only can I identify with the first verse in my own experience, but I also recognize something else. My perspective has shifted — and I find myself presently discovering the deeper truths of the second verse.

Here is the song: Pressed Out of Measure


Pressed beyond measure and pressed to all length;
Pressed so intensely, it seems beyond strength;
Pressed in the body, and pressed in the soul;
Pressed in the mind, till the dark surges roll.
Pressure by foes, and pressure by friends -
Pressure on pressure, till life nearly ends.

Pressed into knowing no helper but God;
Pressed into loving the staff and the rod.
Pressed into liberty where nothing clings;
Pressed into faith for impossible things.
Pressed into living a life in the Lord;
Pressed into living a Christ-life outpoured.


Please share a song or poem that has spoken to in your own walk with the Lord.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Tough words but very true.

Diamonds only come through pressure. The same can be said for oil.

Matt McClay said...

Yes. Very tough, yet very true.