Thursday, February 7, 2008

seeing The Man about a horse

With an uncooperative computer and whiny kids, I was smack in the middle of a frustrating morning when it took another turn for the worse.

Honey was out. And I put my work on hold to go catch a horse.

As I searched for her, I shared my list with the Lord. That sweet honey of a thing is anything but. She's mean. Unruly. Unsubmissive. I aired my feelings of injustice, self-preserving righteousness, and why me? Complaining.

My self-talk went nowhere. If I wasn't careful this was going to set the mood for the rest of my day. All because of a stupid horse!

"She's a lot like you."

The thought came out of nowhere. Certainly not the Holy Spirit.

"She is, you know. She wants to do her own thing. She doesn't want to be fenced in. She doesn't want to submit. Do you?"

"Lord?" the truth of what He had whispered slowly dawning.

"Yes, I'm a lot like her," I agreed tentatively, shaking the bucket of grain I was carrying and calling to her.

Where was she? I didn't know. But as I searched, I also recognized that the Lord was also searching for me. Calling out to me. Caring. Wanting me to come.

"Lord?" I began. "I'm consciously thanking you in the middle of this. It was tentative at first, like priming a pump. Pulling and pushing, until praises spilled forth and worship began. Soon I recognized that I was no longer under the situation. But far above it.

All because I saw The Man about a horse.

2 comments:

Jim said...

What a good reminder!

Matt Gavenda said...

Thanks Matt that's a great thought and I appreciate the frankness! I know I'm as stubborn as a horse myself at times. Thanks again!